1942 – Construction of airport begins on land jointly purchased by the City of Naples and Collier County. The City and County lease the airport to the federal government during World War II for use as a military airport.
1943 – Naples Airdrome opens as an Army Air Corps base.
1948 – Federal government returns airport to City and County.
1958 – City purchases County’s interest to take complete ownership of the airport.
1969 – A special act of the Florida legislature, the “City of Naples Airport Authority Act,” establishes the Naples Airport Authority (NAA), and transfers operation of the airport to the NAA under a 99-year lease.